Friday, November 30, 2012

finish it up Friday, 11/30/12

Welcome to finish it up Friday! I'm so thankful that you all join me in this business of finishing each week. It's good to have the accountability!

Today I have a few small finishes...but they are big on the cuteness factor. At least I think so!
I started this thread catcher last February or March at a craft Saturday with some friends. All it needed was a pincushion. That should definitely take months...right?
 I added a cute little pincushion....just this morning. FINALLY! (I'm so glad I did!)
I used leftover batting (cut into little squares) to fill the pin cushion....and I filled it to the brim! It's nice and solid and not lumpy. I usually use crushed walnut shells (can't find them) or poly fiber fill (which I have plenty) but I wanted to see if I could use up some of this batting that I just can't seem to throw away. I'm happy to say I like the results so far. (I love using it all! And I love red polka dots, too....in case you haven't noticed. :) )
I also quilted and bound a few quilt blocks and turned them into pot holders. Hurray for machine binding! I'm so glad that I decided to NOT make this into a big quilt. It would have been cute, but I'd rather not have one more project hanging over my head at this point.
The last finish I have to share today is a mini up, up and away quilt that I made for a sample at my local quilt shop. The pattern is found in Sunday Morning Quilts.  I've always thought it would be neat to sew samples for a quilt shop. Now I'm actually doing it and using my own patterns. Never dreamed that would happen, but it's pretty neat!
And here's the back. (I might like it more than the front....why does that happen?)

Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week! Happy Friday to you!

35 comments:

Caryn said...

I love your mini up, up and away quilt. I think there will always be something about crisp, clean pops of color that does my heart good.

I can't believe I'm the first one to link. I promise I wasn't stalking your blog. I just logged onto reader and there you were. Love when these kind of coincidences happen!

Beth said...

Great finishes - they are all adorable! I also like leftover batting scraps for stuffing - great idea idea to use it for the pin cushion!

beth said...

finding ways to use up the little bits of batting is always a trick! Love that last little quilt! ;)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

huge cuteness! Love the thread catcher, I adore red polka dots too (and gingham!). The potholders and mini are brilliant - it's always great to get some little projects done as well :)

Samantha said...

Love the mini quilt! And the thread catcher! Well actually all of it :)

Gunilla said...

I agree huge cuteness!
The red and white thread catcher is lovely.

Anonymous said...

I love those fun, colorful potholders! I've been thinking to make some placemats like those and use up some scraps!

Chase said...

Mini Quilt making is my favorite quilt making! I love pot holders, but I don't use them in the kitchen. This week, I finished up a kitchen sink quilt and very satisfy. Happy weekend

Brenda said...

well, who couldn't love red and white polka dots? thanks again for providing this forum on Fridays, and the incentive to finish up something to show others.

Elena said...

Very nice!
Cosas pequeñas pero preciosas.
Besos
Elena

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Awesome finishes! You crack me up, of course a pincushion should take months. I have a Halloween quilt I cut all the pieces for two years ago and never sewed it together. By the time I do my kids will be too old for it!

Rene' said...

Great finishes Amanda! Clever idea to use leftover batting for the pincushion. Love your minis too! Thanks for hosting again this week. So glad I get to participate for a change ;-)

Michele said...

Love all of your finishes!

teaginny said...

wow, you got a lot one! And what a good idea to make the shop sample in mini form. Smart!

Suzanne said...

Be still my ♥...those minis are just precious.

I have all my triangles accumulating in a small jar waiting for the time to make my up, up and away. You never mean to, but you always add to my queue. Or perhaps, maybe you would like to consider my home as a place to store your quilt shop samples? They'd be safe here, I promise.

Maja said...

Love your potholders!
Ok, love all your work, but those potholders!!!

charlotte said...

Love it, love it, love it. Two questions...is there a pattern somewhere for the thread catcher? and how does it stay on the table surface. Thanks.

Annie said...

Great finishes

Leila said...

Love that mini!!!

Carmen said...

You've been a busy lady!

eva said...

crushed walnuts - at a pet store....at least i think that's where you can find them

i mix crushed walnuts and silica gel (to keep the walnuts from getting moist) silica gel - i gather all those little packets that come in jacket pockets/purses/...actually pretty much everything, and save them in a jar for pincushion time.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Gorgeous mini! I've saved up fabric scraps that are bigger than lint but too small to use for sewing for the one day I will make a pincushion or two or three!

bec said...

Cute projects! I'm keeping all the little bits of batting now to use for stuffing, hate wasting it and having to buy more polyfill!

Annalia said...

Prettiest potholders ever.

Valspierssews said...

I love the scrap catcher and pincushion. Must make myself one of those. Up, Up and Away is very cute.

Chartreuse Moose said...

Love those thread catchers! Darling!
Thank you for a delightful post!

Janice @ Better off Thread said...

That thread catcher is so sweet and I love the triangle mini!

mascanlon said...

Well does it count that I got 2 quilts off to the long arm quilter on Monday? It does if you need them back by the holidays! Love your finishes, something so satisfying about a finish.

Mama Pea said...

Wonderful finishes, Amanda Jean! They are so cute! I know what you mean about trying to use up your batting scraps. I have used a ton of mine lately, but I'm wondering if they multiply at night, because they always seem to be increasing, despite how much I use!

Anne O. said...

Wunderschöne Sachen. Gefällt mir sehr
Liebe Grüße
Anne

LimeRiot said...

All very cute! I especially love the thread catcher. I need to make myself one so badly. I have threads everywhere on my craft room floor :).

pam said...

cute projects!
Do the pet shops there not carry the crushed walnut shells? That is where I found mine. I think they are used for lizard cages. :p
pam

Corinne said...

I think you will find the threadcatcher to be the greatest tool you will own. I bought one about 20 years ago at the local school's craft fair and it lives by the sewing machine and if I'm hand-sewing it goes with me.

Unknown said...

Oooh I love your thread catcher. I have a similar, but much less cute, thing hanging from a loose screw on my desk. Mine's more like an old two litre cut in half. I like yours better!

Abigail said...

Do you have a tutorial for that thread catcher/cushion? It is darling!