Friday, June 01, 2012

small projects sew along finale

Happy June, everyone! As I mentioned a few days ago, I'm going to be hosting a little link up party today to celebrate the completion of our small project sew along. Thank you to everyone who joined in. The accountability that comes with hosting a sew along is something that I needed, so thanks for helping me! I hope it motivated you to get a few things done, too.

I was going to get all fancy and make a flickr mosaic of all my small projects from the last month, but that's not going to happen today. I've got way too much to do today (as always) so it might happen later or not at all. BUT....I did finish one more project today. My dreaded kitchen curtains.

This is what they looked like before....
Half and half....
At the end.
And closed.
I used an IKEA duvet set that I cut up and lined each panel with other flat IKEA sheets. Making curtains is brutal. I hated the process and I almost abandoned the projects a few times. But, I'm stubborn and I'm a die hard finisher....so I stuck it out. I think I will enjoy the results after time heals the pain. :) I'm thrilled to have them D.O.N.E.

So, here's one last look at the list:

1. Patchwork lanyard
2. Vintage sheet skirt with lining
3. Dress!
4. Zippered box bag
5. Tiny trash cans
6. 9 patch pin cushions
7. Van trash cans x 2
8. Guitar strap
9. Granny square pillow cover
10. Thread catchers (with tiles)
11. Color coded storage boxes for stash
12. Patchwork belt
13. Another flirt skirt
14. Drawstring backpack
15. Kitchen curtains
16. Ticker tape on canvas  I made 3 total
17. Kitchen chair pads I bought some, so they are off the list!
18. Dress for my daughter yet to be blogged about, but it's made.
19. Table topper for TV console table
20. Mini quilt for front entry table

I was able to finished 10 out of 20, which isn't too shabby at all! I'm happy with my results and I'm sooo ready to get back to quilting something...anything!

Now it's your turn! Write a little summary or wrap up post of your small projects on your blog, then link up to your specific post to show off what you accomplished! Link ups will close late Monday night. Thanks for joining in! Hope you have a great weekend!

28 comments:

MB in MI said...

Lovely curtains--great finish! :-)

Katherine said...

Inspiring finishes, Amanda Jean!

Beth said...

Your curtains are beautiful! You got so much accomplished off your list. I've done about 1/3 of my list but now seeing your list, I'm adding a guitar strap to mine. Like you, one of my finishes was a dress for my daughter which I blogged about today - it was an easy one though.

Debbie said...

Good progress - thanks for hosting!

Cherie said...

Great looking curtains! How much trouble did they give you? I'm very afraid now! =D

Mama Pea said...

Good job! I have curtains to make this summer, too. I have had the fabric for a mere 8 months already.

Cheryl Arkison said...

They look great!
(I'm so with you, I hate sewing curtains. And duvet covers.)

JennX said...

Ahaha! I just finished... oh no wait I DIDN'T finish... my dining room curtains too (as yet unhemmed). You're so right. How can 2 rectangles be so hard???!!! But they ARE!! I told my husband to tie me down if I ever said I was going to make curtains again... (and yet there's a sale on linen at Fabricland and my daughter needs curtains.....).

StuffandThings said...

A lot of what you have labeled "small" projects look pretty major to me!

Suzanne said...

I can't believe how much you accomplished. Those curtains really made a big difference! Was this the use of the sheets you had and so graciously kept from me? :-)

prsd4tim2 said...

Doesn't marking things off the list just give you a rush? Sometimes I make lists just so I can cross things off! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

I hate making curtains, too! All of my friends tease me and say that they are so easy, but I can never manage to make two panels of the same length!

themissymom said...

Love how you show your list with things crossed off!! Keep up the good work.
You know, I hate curtains, too. I sew some of the most complicated things imaginable, but curtains...why am I so dense?

gracielynn's said...

Congrats ! aLWAYs a nice feeling to complete things.
in your list you had Van trash cans ? is there a link on your blog for those ?

Lisa

Amanda Jean said...

Lisa,

Yes, there is a link to the van trash cans....I posted about them just a few days ago. :)

Amanda Jean

craftycountrymomma said...

The Curtain's are Beautiful

Donna said...

Love your new curtains. So light and airy looking.

Svetlana said...

These curtains look gorgeous!

gMarie said...

I'm going to point out that you finished 11 of the 20. You posted a new flirt skirt from a sheet just the other day - yet it's not crossed off. Just sayin'.

And I totally get the whole curtain thing. It's not that they are hard, they are cumbersome and akward - nice finish however. g

Anonymous said...

Your curtains were worth all the work and effort you put into them. Congrats.

Pretty Home Threads said...

I love this idea, but didn't catch it until the 3rd week of May. I'm going to try it for June, so let's see how it goes.

Tessa @ TheSewingChick said...

Wow, you got a lot done Amanda. All that and quilt market? I am impressed. I didn't get as much done as I had hoped...can we continue it through June?

Michele said...

Really nice curtains. I need to do just that for a bunch of windows in this house. Eventually.

jacquie said...

i think i remember when you sewed those first curtains! i really love the new ones!!

Cheerful Homemaker said...

Cute curtains! I don't have any little household projects to sew up, but I do need to make stuff for my Etsy shop. It's looking pretty bare!

Anita said...

I didn't make a list, but you sure inspired me to make some small projects that I've been meaning to do.

I hate making curtains. There is still nothing on the windows in the kitchen. I think that is just fine. :P

woolmix said...

So awed by what everyone else managed - quite major projects in my book. Hurrah, and thank you for hosting a great sewalong

quirky granola girl said...

those new curtains are *beautiful*!!