Wednesday, May 30, 2012

van trash cans

Before I officially start my post today, I want to mention that I'm doing a book signing and talk about Sunday Morning Quilts at the Calla Lily Quilt Shop in Blaine, MN, on June 9th, which is coming up quickly! You can read the details here and find out how to register to hold your spot if you are interested. If you are in the area, I'd love to see you there!
Ok...I'm still working on my small projects list. I hope you are too! I'm doing one final push to get a few more things completed before May is through. I'm planning on hosting a link up party on Friday, June 1, for everyone who participated in the small projects sew along. It will be fun to see what you got done!

Today I made these a-dor-a-ble trash cans for my perpetually messy van. Here's hoping they help! :) You can find the tutorial here. Thanks Tara!
The oil cloth (or is it laminated fabric? i'm not sure) came from Treadle in St. Paul. The sweet yellow print is one of my very favorite fabrics ever. It's made by Connecting Threads and you can find it here. The little red polka dot fabric is vintage fabric from my grandma. I'm only using it in small quantities for that reason! I absolutely love this fabric combo. I think they all work together so beautifully.
This one is identical  to the first, except I used this gray print from my stash (that I found while I was treasure hunting at Mill End Textiles). I love them as a pair. Now I want to make a yellow and red and gray quilt. Wouldn't that be perfectly lovely? Maybe after I cross a few other things off the list.
I tested these and they look perfectly lovely over my craft room door as well.
Not that I need a trash can there, but a bit of cuteness doesn't hurt!

23 comments:

Gnomemade said...

Adorable! Thanks for sharing - those are exactly what my car needs!

Mika said...

OK, I'm now making one to hang on my ironing board where I ALWAYS need a trash can lol. Love them!

Doris said...

You're right, a little cuteness never hurt. ;-) I've been meaning to make something similar for our vehicles since LAST summer!

Maybe I need to start paying more attention to that to-do list...

doodlebugmom said...

so cute, I love your fabric choices

pratima said...

They are so cute and very practical & eco-friendly! The new-look of your blog is so fresh and beautiful too :)

Annie said...

Great idea, love them!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

My backseat soooo needs this!! I don't have any oilcloth on hand but I'll make them anyway. thanks for posting!

Studio V said...

These are so cute! I have been wanted to make a trash receptacle for my car but these are too cute for trash ;)

Cherie said...

That's so awesome!
My Father needs some of those in his car. the current plastic bags he has are a pain =D

P.s Would you mind turning off your word verification. Please and thanks
http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/im-not-robotreally.html

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Oh yes - that yellow red and grey together would make a delicious quilt. Love your design - will be adding that to my list for sure!! Yay - a linky party!! I've managed to cross off 7 out of 13 things on my small projects list - yay!

Miranda said...

That's super cute! I could use one of those! And I bet you didn't know that Calla Lily QS is about 5 miles from my house! I'm going to have to check out the details :)

kristyn said...

Those are adorable, something that can't typically be said of trash cans/bags ;). I can't believe it is the end of May and I haven't even started my small projects list. Best get on that!

Franziska said...

that's something for my husband's car. As he drives almost all day this would be helpful to reduce the mess, wouldn't it? Your tras cans look beautiful.

Josie McRazie said...

if you manage to handle the mess in a family van PLASE let me know how!!! I LOVE 30's prints and JUST looked at the yellow one from (my fave) Connecting Threads just this morning!!

Annalia said...

Cute! My car could use some cuteness...and less trashiness. :)

Cheerful Homemaker said...

So cute! I think if I put that in our car, trash would go everywhere BUT the bag! :)

www.cheerfulhomemaker.com

April (Polkadot Sparrow) said...

Your bags are too cute! I love oilcloth! My mother-in-law picks up really nice oilcloth when she goes to London--it's even sturdier than what they sell stateside. I wonder why? She made me a sewing bag with it once. Its a splendid bag. At any rate, your bags are top shelf! Sorry, in a British mood right now, I guess. :)

Claire Jain said...

Cute! I've got some laminated cotton that would be perfect for this. It would be nice to have a few tiny thread catchers around the house ;-)

Karen Sue said...

these are just cuter than cute! Of course we never have any trash in the car, so I'd have to find another location!! Actually, the hubby calls my car the SS Garbagescow... !! This might be the ticket!

Suzanne said...

what pretty car accessories!

Renae said...

Very cute, and I think I'm going to try and come see you in Blaine. My sister Emily (Creative Chicks) will be super jealous.

Michele said...

Now you have a much prettier car interior. I need a couple of those myself because my kidlets are real mess makers but I'm guessing that I wouldn't be able to get them to actually use the trash cans.

quirky granola girl said...

that yellow fabric is a perfect example for why connecting threads has to get more photos of their stuff out there. i love that print in your picture but i can't tell from their digital sample if i liked it. anyway, a yard just jumped in my cart.