Tuesday, November 10, 2009

finally figured it out

I wasn't planning on posting a part 2 about the retreat, but here goes. You can see the posts here and here for more details from different perspectives. (And a photo or two of me, for those of you who are curious!)

stash building from before my trip

I am so thankful that I got the chance to go to the retreat this past weekend. Not only because of the much needed the break, but because it really clarified what I want to do. I've struggled over the past two years trying to figure out where I want to go with my quilting. I had options...book writing, pattern writing, selling quilts, I even thought about making my own kits to sell. So many options that I went back and forth on from day to day. I've written two book proposals. One got rejected and one I gave up on before turning in the final copy. It wasn't my cup of tea and it was a whole lot like work. After teaching at the retreat this weekend, I discovered that is what I really want to do. I was nervous and I probably have a long way to go. To be honest, I didn't know if I had all that much to offer, but I saw people trying new things and being challenged to get out of their comfort zone, so I'd call that a success. And it didn't feel at all like work. When I told my husband, "This is what I want to do!!!" He said, "Go for it!" So, if you are interested in having me speak at a retreat, email me for details. Whenever I think about this, I just start grinning like a silly woman. It's so good to have finally figured this out.

Next post...I start showing that stack of quilts. :)