Wednesday, January 31, 2007

soup

I tried a new recipe last night. I got the link from creative little daisy. She was inspired by wise craft. I must say that I am loving this blog thing. Especially when it helps solve that never ending question, "what am I going to cook for dinner tonight?"

I like to cook. Mainly because I love to eat....but I do enjoy the process most days. And I like to try new recipes. I get really excited when they exceed my expectations (this rarely happens). This is one of those recipes. The original recipe is here.
Here is my take on it.
Asian Chicken and Chili Soup

6 cups chicken broth
1 red bell pepper thinly sliced and cut into 2" pieces
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon ketchup
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of ground red pepper
3 cups diced cooked chicken
angel hair pasta
about 3 sprigs of fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
2 scallions thinly sliced lenthwise and cut into 2" pieces (for garnish)
Combine first 6 ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add chicken, pasta and cilantro. Simmer until pasta is tender. Garnish with scallions.

I adapted the recipe to what I had on hand. I don't know much about watercress, but I think that it is close to cilantro? (Don't laugh at me if I am way off here.) I did a google search on it last night and didn't find the information I was hoping to. Any insight that you may have would be much appreciated. So if figured I might as well try substituting cilantro and see what happens...it's not like we were expecting company or anything. The flavor that the fresh herbs added to the soup was perfect. And as cold as it has been here, the soup was the perfect meal. On a side note, the kids didn't eat this due to the cayenne pepper in it.

We all survived our snow day, and I ended up getting all the sewing for my job done, but nothing else. I did indulge in a little on-line retail therapy. I made it all the way through the day without, but when I checked in at 10 pm and my fabric bundle was on sale I broke down and bought it. My husband heartily approved. What's up with that, you may ask? I know I did. He loves to on-line shop....then he gets a package a few days later. It is weird though, my husband urging my to buy fabric, especially when I just added a lot to my stash. He is a pretty sweet guy and he likes to spoil me.

Gratitudes:
1. For my husband, who works hard and puts up with lots of junk at work without complaining
2. For a funny sweet guy to walk through this life with
3. And that our marriage keeps getting better

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it looks yummy!!!!!!!!!!!! but no one eats much here anymore so most times food goes to waste... bummer, eh?!

Amy Jo said...

That looks good - I might have to try that!! The kids won't eat it, but that just makes a good night for Mac & Cheese!!

Roxanne said...

That does look really good. I think my kid would actually eat it too. The spicier the better for her, isn't that weird? Anyway, I rarely follow recipes when I cook, but I will really try to follow yours this time!

There must be some strange nice husband bug going around lately! Mine agreed that I should get a big cutting table from Jo-Anns for the craft room...without nagging, on the first try!! Makes me wonder what he's up to:)

becki said...

Oh yummy!! That looks pretty good!! I might have to try that this weekend since it will be nasty cold!

Linda said...

Mmmm, sounds yummy! May have to give that a try!