Wednesday, January 03, 2007

better than thrifting

What could be better than thrifting you may ask???

Well, when my sister came to visit last week, she brought some things to me that belonged to my grandma and a few things from my childhood...

A little dress that my Grandma had made for my cousin Melissa when she was little. (Melissa is now 30, so that gives you an idea of how old this is...) My little girl will wear this soon!

A puzzle that I got for Christmas when I was about 9 or 10...my boys love puzzles and I will enjoy sharing this with them. (It's looking pretty vintage, isn't it?)

A bunch of buttons in a cool old canning jar.

(I heart buttons...)

and some extremely funky slippers (they have big pom poms on the tops). These were made by my mom probably in the 70's judging by the colors. These are precious to me...my mom passed away when I was only 5 yrs old, and these are one of 2 things that I own that she made. She was quite the crafty lady, my mom.

I also got a brooch/pin that belonged to my grandma but had troubles getting a decent photo of it, so I just gave up. You'll have to trust me when I say that it is very cool. :)
..............
I am borrowing this idea from a few quilt blogs that I have read off and on lately...love this idea so much....to daily list things that I am thankful for at the end of each post.

Gratitudes:
1. My washer and dryer. (they have been getting a lot of use the past 2 days, since we have had sickness in our house again)

2. Sunshine.

3. My husband. What a dear man he is. He so often puts the needs of others ahead of his own. He is a great husband and dad. And he makes me laugh. (I'm trying not to get too mushy here, which I am sure you will appreciate!)

5 comments:

Roxanne said...

That stuff is way better than thrifting. The dress is adorable, you'll have to show us pictures of your sweet girl in it! And the buttons - I am soooo jealous!! I have some really funky pink and green slippers that my great grandma made that remind me of yours. They are very cool!

Clair said...

Nice pictures. I am wishing I had a computer so I could blog more.

Anonymous said...

Love the slippers!
Reminded me of the 70s when I got a pair from my grandma at the time. I haven't thought of them in 30+ years. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, and thanks for washers & dryers. We have sickness in our household too.
Dawn

turningwheelfarm said...

Love the goodies you got. Isn't it funny how exciting it is to get old things that "older" family members think are not that great? You give them new life and appreciation. I got a bunch of old buttons a few months back and was so excited digging through them the whole afternoon. Enjoy your new treasures!

Linda said...

Those things are great! I'm sure that your mom would be thrilled to know that those slippers are keeping your toes nice and warm. I too have slippers that my grandmother made, actually a couple of pair, but I seem to have misplaced one pair. One pair is lavender with pompoms on the ties, the other pair is red, green and white variegated yarn. Seems slippers were the things to make back in the 70's. :)